Many of us will be traveling this holiday season. Unfortunately, bed bugs enjoy traveling, too; and if we are not careful, these annoying insects will hitch a ride back home with us. Your hotel may be grand, grandma’s house is likely neater than yours and your college kid’s dorm is…well, maybe not so neat. But the thing is, bed bugs can live anywhere and you don’t want to bring them home.
Bed Bugs are hitchhikers and it only takes one fertile female bed bug or a few tiny eggs to get onto or into a suitcase, get into a backpack or bags, or onto your clothing to be transported back to your home or property.
Here are some tips from the Brussell Exterminating Service bed bug eradication team (sourced from the National Pest Management Association) to help keep bed bugs from hitching a ride with you when staying away from home:
• Thoroughly inspect your entire room with a flashlight, if possible, before unpacking.
• Pull back the sheets and inspect the mattress seams and box springs, particularly at the corners for tell-tale stains, spots or shed bed bug skins and eggs.
• At your destination, wrap your suitcases in a large plastic bag.
• Stow your suitcases on a luggage rack or the middle of a tile floor – never on upholstered furniture.
• Wash all of your clothes in hot water – even those you didn’t wear – and dry on high heat upon returning home.
• If you can do so without damaging them, toss your dry-clean-only clothes in the dryer and run it on high heat for about 15 minutes.
If you do find bed bugs at home or have bites, which oftentimes look like raised red bumps or flat welts, and you experience uncomfortable, intense itching; call Brussell Exterminating Service right away to schedule an inspection and subsequently bed bug treatment.